Husband and I had to bring a dish to share at his family reunion. Its apple season and I have been dying to sink my teeth into ooey gooey apple crisp. This potluck is the perfect excuse to make apple crisp.
I added a personal challenge to make a gluten free apple crisp that wouldn't taste like cardboard plunked on apples.
I succeeded. No one at the party realized my apple crisp was gluten free until I told them. Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner! Uh, I mean gluten free apple crisp.
The in law's bought the farm - literally. They downsized their house to one on a small farm. Here I am doing my best car model impression on Father in Law's new to him retirement sports car.
Gluten Free Apple Crisp Recipe
6 to 12 peeled and sliced apples (depending upon the size of the apple. I always err on the side of more apples than less)
1 cup gluten free granola or (gluten free oatmeal + ½ teaspoon cinnamon + ½ teaspoon nutmeg)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
½ teaspoon vanilla
- Place the apple slices in a baking pan or casserole dish.
- Mix the gluten free granola (or oats plus spices), brown sugar, and vanilla together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix the softened butter into the dry mixture until crumbly. I don’t know if crumbly is a real baking term or not but I’m too lazy to Google so I’m going for it.
- Spoon the oat mixture onto the apple slices.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees (F) for 30 to 45 minutes until the apples are tender and the topping is light brown.
- Slice, eat, and repeat!
Did you like this post? Get more like it by subscribing to the Lazy Budget Chef RSS feed or by subscribing to Lazy Budget Chef by email.