I’m sure it tastes great but it isn’t something I should taste test with a dairy allergy.
Fortunately, the pie crust label also told me it takes a mere three ingredients to make a graham cracker pie crust. So I popped over a few aisles, bought a box of honey flavored graham crackers because I was feeling fancy, raced home and started to experiment.
And ta da! I made a milk allergy friendly graham cracker pie crust!
You can use plain, cinnamon, chocolate, etc. graham crackers in this recipe of you like. I went with honey because it will compliment the pie filling I will use to fill it.
How to Make a Quick and Easy No Bake Graham Cracker Pie Crust
You will need these ingredients
1 and 1/2 cups of graham crackers – or a little more or less depending upon how thick you want to make your pie crust and the size of your pie pan.
1/3 cup of sugar – you can use either white or brown sugar to make the pie crust complement the taste of the pie in it
5 tablespoons of melted non diary butter (or less)– or real butter if you don’t have a food allergy
As tempting as it may be to remove the sugar in an attempt to healthy up this pie crust don’t do it. You need the sugar to combine with the “butter” to glue the the graham cracker crumbs into a pie crust shape.
How to Make this Recipe
1. Crush the graham crackers in a blender to make 1 and 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs. If you don’t have a sturdy chops anything and everything Oster Reverse Crush Blender you’ll need to get creative when making graham crackers into crumbs.
2. Thoroughly mix the sugar and crushed graham crackers together in a mixing bowl.
3. Mix the melted dairy free butter into the dry ingredients until the dry mixture is thoroughly coated.
Tip: I found it best to mix in a little bit of melted vegan butter at a time instead of dumping it all in at once and stirring away because depending upon the brand and type of plant based butter you use 5 tablespoons might make your graham cracker mixture too wet and your pie crust may not set.
4. Press the the mixture into a pie crust shape in a pie plate.
Tip: I use my hand to press the graham cracker crust mix evenly into the pie plate followed by using the back of a spoon to press and smooth out the finger indents from my pie crust.
5. Chill or bake before using the pie crust to make a pie.
- Chill method – Chill the graham cracker pie crust in the refrigerator for at least two hours before using it to make a no bake pie.
- Bake method – Bake the graham cracker pie crust for 10 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees ( F.)
6. Fill ‘er up and make a pie!
Did you like this post? Get more like it by subscribing to the Lazy Budget Chef RSS feed or by subscribing to Lazy Budget Chef by email.