The coffeehouse named the recipe Hum after the sound steaming milk makes using an espresso machine steamer. I never could get the hang of using the steamer on my espresso machine so I took the easy (and lazy) way out by heating the milk in a pot on the stove or in a mug in the microwave and frothing it afterwards.
The original recipe calls for cow’s milk. Fortunately, it also works with your favorite non dairy milk so allergy sufferers do not have to mess out on this sweet drink that warms you from nose to toes on a chilly day.
Steamed Milk Hum Recipe
You will need:
Milk – Cow, soy, almond, etc. whatever floats your boat
Honey – approximately 2 teaspoons more or less depending upon how sweet you like your drinks
1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg – more or less depending upon your taste
1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon – more or less depending upon your taste
Do you like my mug cup? I bought my New York style ceramic coffee cup from Amazon here. (affiliate link for your convenience)
I am making this recipe one mug at a time. If you want to make enough to share with others, you can easily adapt this recipe by doubling, tripling, etc. the quantities and heating the milk in a pan on the stove.
I’m using almond milk in this example to make it a lactose intolerant and milk allergy friendly drink.
1. Warm the milk in either the microwave or in a pot on the stove, if you are not using a frothing method that also heats the milk in Step 2. My microwave has a beverage setting so I use that to make sure the milk isn’t scalding hot.
2. Froth and/or warm the milk using your preferred method:
- An espresso machine steamer – if you steam the milk until it “hums” you now know where the name of this recipe came from!
- An Aerolatte Milk Frother wand – you will need to warm the milk first. I like mine, it also thoroughly mixes a mean mug of chocolate milk, BTW.
- An empty glass jar and my Lazy Budget Chef tutorial How to Froth Milk Without an Espresso Machine
4. Sip, enjoy, repeat!
Lisa says her warm steamed milk recipe tastes better when you enjoy it cuddling with someone you love!
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
Did you like this post? Get more like it by subscribing to the Lazy Budget Chef RSS feed or by subscribing to Lazy Budget Chef by email.