Make sure you take a quick peak at my Lazy Budget Chef printable coupon database to pair with September sale items for additional savings!September has several industry awareness months and days that usually lead to sales and savings. They are:
- Labor Day – There will be great sales on summer party food and items
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September 19- Grab your eye patch and practice your Yaaarrr! Many stores, restaurants, and Renaissance Festivals run specials or give discounts if you talk or dress up like a pirate on this fun goofball holiday.
- National Coffee Day is September 29 – You may see sales or find coupons for coffee. Coffee shops may offer specials and a few celebrate by giving away free cups of coffee!
- National Fruits & Veggies Month – woohoo!
- National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month – look for sales on kid focused healthy lunch, snack, and food items, children’s first aid supplies, lunch boxes.
- Diabetes Awareness – look for sales on glucose meters, test strips, sugar-free products, diabetic care supplies and items, vitamins, and weight scales.
- National Sewing Month - look for sales on fabric, patterns, notions, sewing machines, etc. The new Halloween costume patterns also release in September so it pays so start thinking about Halloween early because these things will not go on sale during the busy October and Christmas sewing season.
- Yoga Month - look for sales on yoga clothing, mats, accessories, classes, and equipment. Many studios and gyms offer free yoga classes so you can try a few before you commit to buying a membership.
For extra savings, check the Lazy Budget Chef printable coupon database for coupons on the September sale list to pair with a sale and make those items an even better deal than before!
September Seasonal Fresh Fruit and Vegetables
September Seasonal Fruit
September Seasonal Vegetables
September Seasonal Grocery Sale Cycle
Fruit and vegetables for National Fruits & Veggies Month
Cookout, grilling and party food for Labor Day
- Hamburger and Hotdog Buns
- Soda, Beer, Wine
Breakfast food for Back To School
- Breakfast Bars
- Peanut Butter
- Pudding cups, snack cakes, and other packed lunch snacks and sides
September Seasonal Household, Home, and Garden Seasonal Sale Items to Buy
Mattresses – Labor Day Sales are a great time to buy a mattress. September is one of the few times of the year when the stores have big discounts because they usually have a large inventory taking up space.
Major appliances – Again, the Labor Day Sales are the best time to buy a dishwasher, washer/dryer, or stove because the stores need to make room for the new model year. My research says that refrigerators do and do not go on sale in September because the new refrigerator models come out in May so the stores don’t have to make room for new refrigerator models. However, if you are buying a dishwasher and stove, I’m sure you can find a sale or work a deal on a whole kitchen full of new appliances.
Summer clearance – sandals, clothing, beach bags, etc.
Outdoor patio furniture and accessories
Golf clubs and gear
Bicycles – It is the end of the model year. Stores are clearing out their summer stock. This is a great time to buy a bike and save it for a Christmas gift!
Camping gear – Husband and I got a screaming deal when we decided to upgrade our tent in September. There wasn’t a large selection due to it being the end of the season so we had to buy a slightly larger tent than we planned that cost less than the smaller tent we originally wanted to buy. We are dealing with the extra room for less very nicely thank you.
Lawn and gardening equipment and supplies – lawn mowers, pressure washers and leaf blowers, etc
Perennial flowers, shrubs, and trees
Ceiling fans, box fans, and air conditioners
Grills and grilling supplies like charcoal, etc.
Wine: Winemakers are releasing new wine to make room during their harvest season. This is a good time to stock up on wine for the holidays and for hostess gifts.
School supplies - Even if your child already has supplies for this school year, it never hurts to buy the basics like pens and notebooks now for the next semester or year. You can always use them as office supplies!
Computers and accessories – usually tied in with the Back to School sales
College savings plans – banks advertise incentives to open 529 savings plans and open college savings accounts for for parents and students.
Cars – Many dealerships are holding year end model sales.
Bedding, towels, and bath supplies – there are better times of the year to buy these items if you are looking for deep discounts but there are deals to be had if you keep an eye out.
Jewelry – There isn’t a gift giving holiday in September so jewelry sales are down. Jewelers will be holding sales and specials so now is the time to buy those November and December holiday gifts! By the way, if my husband is reading this post, I am perfectly fine with you buying me a gift of jewelry and holding onto it until Christmas, FYI.
Broadway tickets – September is the off season and a good time to get tickets to that sold out show you are dying to see! For more savings, buy your tickets during Broadway Week where you can get them two for one!
Airline tickets for November, December, and January travel – Book now because the price will skyrocket the closer you get to the holiday.
Did you like this post? Get more like it by subscribing to the Lazy Budget Chef RSS feed or by subscribing to Lazy Budget Chef by email.