That's what happens when Husband's family gets together and his grandmother's gourmet potatoes are part of the meal. It was part of the first meal I ate when I met Husband's the extended family for the first time. I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about until I savored my first bite of oozy gooey cheesy comfort food. So good!
Eventually I moved on from girlfriend to wife. Shortly thereafter Mother in Law gave me a wonderful Christmas gift: a recipe box full of the Woods family recipes, including Grandma Woods gourmet potatoes recipe!
Even though I shouldn't eat this anymore because of the lactose in it, I can't resist enjoying at least a little nibble when gourmet potatoes cross my path.
6 medium potatoes
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons of butter
1 1/2 cups of room temperature sour cream
1/3 cup of chopped onions
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 (more) tablespoons of butter (for the top)
1. Boil the potatoes in the skins in a pot of water on the stove until they are fully cooked. Peel and cube (or shred - less work, especially if you let the food processor do it for you) the potatoes after they cool.
2. Melt the cheese and butter in a large saucepan.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat and mix in the sour cream, onions, salt, and pepper until it is fully blended.
4. Fold the potatoes into the mixture.
5. Place the potato mixture in a casserole dish and dot with the last 2 tablespoons of butter.
6. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees (F) for 25 -30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
I always think of Husband's grandmother whenever I make her recipe. Her gourmet potato casserole not only fills my belly, it also fills my soul.
Did you like this post? Get more like it by subscribing to the Lazy Budget Chef RSS feed or by subscribing to Lazy Budget Chef by email.